Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reality Check

Written November 11, 2011
  
I did the unthinkable....I actually received my annual free credit report. I had to know the damage that I have done in my worst shopaholic days in my early 20s in order to repair and prepare for the future. The first thing is that I didn't realize how long it was, 10 pages!!! But then again, I really don't know how long they are supposed to be, but for me, that seemed pretty long. After printing it, it seemed a bit overwhelming and there was a lot of special jargon that I don't understand. But after consulting with Google and Askjeves.com, its all starting to make sense and I am putting my anxiety at ease.


Secretly, I feel ashamed. I can't believe that I really spent this much money in my early 20s and never realized that I had to pay it back. But I am glad that I know where I need to begin in order to finish my quest in being debt free. So now, I am devising a plan and creating a budget to start paying off those old debts that I have accumulated. I'm going to start with the smallest and work my way up to the big ones. My goal is to attempt to pay two debts per pay period depending on the amount of the debt. So hopefully very soon, I will have all of my credit card debt paid, everything expect for my student loans which is a whole different ball of wax.


I believe that getting this credit report is the best thing that I have ever done. After all, you don't know where you're going until you know where you've been and this is only the beginning to start my new debt-free future.

No comments:

Leave your two cents...