Monday, April 15, 2013

Shop Your Closet: Downtown Career Fair

Finding a job in 2013 is tough. Countless applications completed, phone calls made, and follow ups inquired all in hopes of getting in the door for an interview. And after all that, you still have to impress the company to hire you within fifteen minutes or less. Its exhausting! I'm more of an old school type of person when it comes to job hunting. I prefer to meet people in person, fill out applications in person, and build a relationship with a company that doesn't involve me staring at a computer screen for hours on end. So when I found that a career fair was being held, I jumped at the chance.
I strongly believe that first impressions are essential in creating any type of positive relationship. So when, it comes to job hunting, what you wear is very critical in the hiring process. Unfortunately, I don't wear a lot of profession clothing nor did I have the money to run to the mall and find something new. So I had to become creative. Since I have my new workout shoes, I have been losing weight and I can fit back into pants that I couldn't fit before. So I searched my closet and found some camel colored pants and a cream snaked skinned fabric tank. I also found a coral colored asymmetrical suit jacket. To complete the look, I dusted off my flower printed Guess pumps. Accented my gold earrings and tan tote bag and my look was complete!
I absolutely love color! Needless to say, I was the brightest thing walking around the career fair. Everyone was in your traditional office black, grey, and blues. Is that an unwritten rule that you have to wear those type of drab colors to be considered professional? If so, that's definitely one rule that will never apply to me. :)

Until Next Time,
B

No comments:

Leave your two cents...